Is Your Home Poisoning You and Your Pet?
you know many household cleaners contain
a chemical called formaldehyde (also
known as embalming solution), which could
cause severe irritation to our pet's
eyes, throat and skin? Or how about rug
and carpet shampoos, they contain a chemical
called perchloroethylene, which can cause
dizziness, insomnia, nausea, tremors
and loss of appetite? Some floor polishes
contain chemicals that can cause cancer
as well as damage to the heart, kidneys,
liver and central nervous system. As
a matter of fact, most household products
do not even warn you of the chemical
dangers they could cause.
So how toxic is your house? According to the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) 50% of all illness can be traced to indoor pollution, which can be directly related to the use of household cleaners. Many products on the shelves today claim to be safe, yet have warning labels. If a product is safe why do they need to warn you of danger? Most rooms in most homes contain these products which could cause any of the following; cancer, birth defects, or changes in human genetic structures. If it is affecting our health in this way imagine what it's doing to our pets.
Consider the effect of the following on your pet:
- Bug spraying
- Ant traps
- Pest/rodent exterminating
- Toilet bowl cleaners your pet can drink
- Matches around the house (sulfur)
- Lawn fertilizer/grass chemicals
- Room deodorizers/sprays
- Chlorinated pools your animal can drink from
you let your dog eat treats off the floor?
Do you watch your cat lick itself clean
after playing on the carpet? Do you enjoy
watching your pet lounged out taking
a snooze on the floor? Do you use household
cleaners? If you answered yes, you must
know the following information. Animals
have faster metabolisms and smaller lungs
than we do. Their bodies have to work
harder to try and eliminate these toxins.
Not only are they processing these chemicals
at a faster rate, they are also breathing
them in more rapidly.
Animals are obviously closer to the ground, which puts them in direct contact with these harmful substances. This makes them more vulnerable to toxic poisoning, which could result in death. Signs and symptoms of toxic poisoning can range from excessive drooling, vomiting and shallow breathing to muscle twitching, convulsions and seizures.
Develop a more acute awareness about the chemicals to which your pet(s) are exposed. Don't just trust grocery store labels and compelling commercial ads seen on television. Take the lead right now to ensure the cleaning products you purchase are safe for you, your pet and the environment. Shop for them at your local health food store. The cost is the same as chemical cleaners and you may even save thousands of dollars in vet bills!
If you suspect a toxic substance has poisoned your animal, induce vomiting immediately with some warm salt water or a little hydrogen peroxide (dosage varies based on size of animal). Call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 4ANIHELP (426-4435). They will guide you through the necessary procedures you must take to save your pets life.
Read about Sunshine Concentrate, the natural cleaner that we've used for our house and laundry since 1987.